Introducing christian practices series
What habits form the Christian life?
What practices shape who we become?
Come learn from a panel of faculty and students about the theology and history of three ancient spiritual disciplines that can deepen your faith: praying the daily office, sabbath, and spiritual direction.
When: Three Wednesdays -- Sept 18, Sept 25, Oct 2 -- 5:30-6:30pm
Where: Memorial Drawing Room, Baylor University
Plan to stick around for free pizza afterwards!
PRAYING THE DAILY OFFICE
- Full text: Morning & Evening Prayer
(automatically updated based on the time of day, including assigned scripture readings)
- Complete Book of Common Prayer 2019
- Daily Office Audio
(Podcast updated daily)
Where to join others in praying...
- Morning Prayer on Baylor's campus:
M-Th, Elliston Chapel, 8:30-8:50am
M-F, Robbins Chapel, 8:30-8:50am
- Traditional Anglican Morning Prayer:
T-Th, Christ Church Waco (1008 Jefferson Ave.), 7:30-8am
MWF, Dr. Gutacker's House (210 Dallas St.), 7:30-8am
- Evensong (sung evening prayer) with Anglican Student Ministries:
Wednesdays, Robbins Chapel, 5:30-6:30pm
- IFL's Christian Reflection Series booklet on Sabbath
(Free PDF download of articles that offer a great introduction to Sabbath practice)
- Recommended book: Keeping the Sabbath Wholly by Marva Dawn
- Share Sabbath with your friends via this video introduction: Sabbath Breaking In
- Email us to request a list of Spiritual Directors in Waco
- Download 5 Steps to Praying the Examine
- Recommended book: Spiritual Companioning: A Guide to Protestant Theology and Practice by Angela Reed
Other Recommended Readings: